Huge rise in calls after RTE airs
A Prime Time
investigation into "crumbling" houses in Donegal has
led to a "huge increase" in the number of homeowners
coming forward with fears their properties may be
The Mica Action Group (MAG) said the 'Bad Blocks'
exposé on RTE on May 31 sparked concerns among
people about the safety of their own homes.
Mica chairman Phil McDaid said: “In the two weeks
since the programme aired, the number of homeowners
making contact indicating they believe they are also
affected, has increased by approximately 25% to
around 350. The numbers are continuing to rise on a
daily basis and come from homeowners across the
He added: “The dedicated phone number and email for
the group has never been busier.
Pictured from left, Ann Owens (MAG);
Minister Paudie Coffey and Damien McKay, structural
engineer, visit affected homeowner Oliver Lafferty
last year as he demonstrates the crumbling nature of
the blocks used in the construction of his home.
Mr McDaid said the
programme "highlighted serious shortcomings in the
manufacturing, regulation and inspection of concrete
block production in Ireland".
"Anyone who watched the programme has seen the
results – some homes now abandoned, insurance
withdrawn, cannot be sold and have no value. This is
not to mention the attendant issues - anxiety,
stress, hopelessness, depression, anger and feelings
of having been let down by the providers of the
materials, the council, regulatory bodies, mortgage
provides and the Government," added Mr McDaid.
MAG is seeking redress for all affected homeowners
and are actively engaged with the
Government-appointed independent panel on the issue.
The group said it looks forward to a meeting with
Minister Damien English next week when he visits the
county and will reiterate its call for redress.
MAG can be contacted by email at
email@example.com or by phone on 086