Drop Down Menu
  Business Directory Ad  


Fire chief warns over “exploding” e-cigarette chargers 27.07.15

DONEGAL'S fire chief has warned e-cigarette users to beware of ‘exploding’ chargers.
Joseph McTaggart issued the alert following a spate of fires in the UK believed to be linked to the use of incompatible e-cigarette chargers.
It is understood some smokers are not using compatible chargers which leads to too much current going into the batteries.
The contents of the batteries have been know to rocket two to three metres in the air, causing fires when they land on anything flammable.
Mr McTaggart said an increase in the number of fires relating to e-cigarettes is “worrying” and that a similar trend is likely to emerge here.
“Always use the correct charger and follow the manufacturer’s instructions,” he said.
“Never charge a battery that has signs of damage, that has been dropped, or has been subjected to impact.”
Donegal chief fire officer Joseph McTaggart.
Fire service crews in the UK have attended 113 call-outs to e-cigarette related incidences in the past three years. These calls jumped from just eight in 2012 to some 62 last year.

Mr McTaggart also outlined the following safety tips:
- Never plug a charger into a non-approved mains
- Check that your e-cigarette battery has over heat protection
- Never leave a charging device unattended
- Don’t use if wet or exposed to water
- Do not over tighten the atomiser when connecting to charger
- Dispose of batteries correctly

Add to Favorites :: Return to > Top Stories    > News    > Home