DONEGAL has seen 44
motor insurance claims against uninsured or untraced
drivers so far this year, new figures reveal.
The Motor Insurers’ Bureau of Ireland (MIBI)
statistics also show a 17% jump in the number of
such claims nationally in the first six months of
About €60 million a year is paid out by the bureau
on claims of this nature each year - leading to
about €35 being added on to an average driver's
From January 1 to July 31, there were 1,644 of
claims countrywide compared to 1,409 last year.
The MIBI said Donegal had one less claim compared to
last year's figure of 45. The highest number of
claims were in Dublin (688) followed by Cork (129)
and Galway (92). The MIBI said the overall increase
would eventually push up insurance premiums.
The bureau's ceo David Fitzgerald said: “Every year
the MIBI manages thousands of claims against
uninsured or untraced drivers. That is the role this
organisation was set up to fulfil since we were
established by the Government and the insurance
industry in the 1950s.
“As a not for profit organisation all our claims are
funded by the motor insurance providers operating in
this country, with the costs ultimately covered by
Irish motor insurance customers.
"On average the MIBI pays out approximately €60
million a year for claims of this nature. We
estimate that accounts for €35 within the cost of
the average annual motor insurance premium."
Mr Fitzgerald said a key MIBI objective is to reduce
the number of uninsured drivers on Irish roads.
"We are working with the Government, An Garda
Síochána and other relevant agencies to help tackle
this issue,” added Mr. Fitzgerald.